UTEP Bridge to the Doctorate Seminar
Syllabus for Spring 2020 (CRN 24157 MATH 5195 and CRN 27669 EE 6195)
- Time and Place. Friday 14:00-14:50 in BELL 130A
- Ariana Arciero Pino, ENGR 301, firstname.lastname@example.org, (915) 747-8725
- Benjamin Flores, ENG 301, email@example.com, (915) 747-6961
- Helmut Knaust, Bell Hall 219, firstname.lastname@example.org, (915) 747-7002
- Office Hours. By Appointment
- Required Reading. No textbook is required. Relevant reading material will be provided.
- Course Content. This is a mentoring and professional development workshop for student fellows receiving the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation – Bridge to the Doctorate fellowship. While the course content may vary depending on the participants’ interests and needs, throughout the semester students will engage in a number of conversations and esprit de corps activities.
- Grading. The final grade will be based on in-class participation, attendance, and the quality of the deliverables. A passing grade is required to maintain fellowship eligibility status.
January 24 First Meeting January 31 Discussion: Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell February 7 Visit: Dr. Stephen Crites, Dean of the Graduate School Febrary 14 Discussion: What Leaders Really Do, by John Kotter February 21 Presentation: The Paper Chase February 28 Discussion: Outliers: The Story of Success, by Malcolm Gladwell (continued) March 6 Visit: Dr. David Espalin, Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering (BD Alumnus) March 13 Visit: Danniel Rodriguez, Research Assistant Professor of Civil Engineering (BD Alumnus) March 20 No class: Spring Break March 27 No class: Cesar Chavez Day April 3 No class: LSAMP Directors' Meeting April 10 No class: Spring Holiday April 17 Discussion: CoViD Impact April 24 Visit: Christian Servin, Associate Professor of Computer Science at EPCC (BD Alumnus) May 1 Visit: Andrew Pardo, Lecturer, Chemistry and Biochemistry (BD Alumnus)
- Enrollment and Attendance Policy. Enrollment in this course is a requirement for the fellowship. You are expected to attend class every week, with a maximum of two allowed excused absences.
- Academic Integrity. Academic Integrity is a commitment to fundamental values: honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility. From these values flow principles of behavior that enable academic communities to translate ideals into action.” Specifically these values are defined as follows:
- Honesty: advances the quest for truth and knowledge by requiring intellectual and personal honesty in learning, teaching, research, and service.
- Trust: fosters a climate of mutual trust, encourages the free exchange of ideas, and enables all to reach their highest potential.
- Fairness: establishes clear standards, practices, and procedures and expects fairness in the interaction of students, faculty, and administrators.
- Respect: recognizes the participatory nature of the learning process and honors and respects a wide range of opinions and ideas.
- Responsibility: upholds personal responsibility and depends upon action in the face of wrongdoing.
- All students must abide by UTEP's academic integrity policies. For detailed information visit the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSCCR) website.
- Military Service. If you are a military student with the potential of being called to military service and/or training during the course of the semester, you are encouraged to contact the instructors as soon as possible.
- Counseling Center. You are encouraged to go by to Counseling and Psychological Services (202 Union West) for personal assistance as you work through personal concerns. Confidential counseling services are offered in English or in Spanish.
- Disabilities and/or Special Accommodations. If you have a disability and/or need special accommodation, please contact the Center for Accommodations and Support Services (CASS). The Center aspires to provide students accommodations and support services to help them pursue their academic, graduation, and career goals. Phone 747-5148. E-mail: email@example.com.